Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Travelogue

A stranger in Hala- the city of Sindhi culture and heritage




Travelling increases experiences and going out of the comfort zone has its own charm. Talking about myself, I was a lazy girl used to remain at home in her comfort zone. I did not like to talk to anyone or to travel as well. Whenever someone discussed or set in for a picnic, I was the one who always refuse to go out.


Once my paternal aunt came to my place and she was telling my sister about her childhood friends and she said I am missing those memories. I was also there listening her stories. Suddenly, I told her to go there but she said I want our whole family to go. Next week, all of us set out to go Hala. Hala is a city and taluka of Matiari district of Sindh, Pakistan.


We woke up early in the morning. But I was not that much happy to go Hala. We were about 18 family members in a coaster. I sat with my aunt near window pane. Aunt was very much excited and happy as she was meeting her friends after a long time. Driver started the coaster and our journey started. All of my cousins were singing songs and other family members were talking with each other. I was silently watching all of them. And then gazed outside. I saw on the road that there were many people who were road-sick. Shops were opening slowly and gradually.


We reached on Hyderabad bypass in 20 minutes and it took more 25 minutes to reach on national highway. Those 45 minutes were like hell for me. Time was not passing. Our coaster overtook many big automobiles and some of them also overtaken us. It seemed like an interesting race game.


As we crossed Hatri and entered Matiari, I asked why do we call it Matiari? My father told me historians say, there was a woman who used to give water to the thirsty travellers and nomads. That’s why it became famous as Mat wari (woman with a pot). Bit by bit due to language shift it has become Matiari.


I was serious in whole journey. Aunt started directing the roads. Then we reached Sekhat, where I started taking interest in the journey. Travelling with mouth shut does not give us pleasure so I started talking with my siblings, cousins and started playing antakshiri. There became a joyfulness and a hustle bustle in the coaster. Soon, we covered the distance of about km. and reached Hala.


Hala is a place famous for the Sindhi culture and heritage. Many people on the road were in simple dresses. My aunt told that previously the common dress of the people of countryside was Parro (long skirt) with bangles all the way up to shoulders for women. We all were listening her. And at last we reached to Talib-ul-Mola Colony that was our destination.


The hosts were waiting for us. They welcomed us open-heartedly and spent quality time with us. Delicious lunch was served. There was chicken karahi, chapattis, pulses and white rice, vegetable rice, pickle of three different types and lip-smacking fritters (Pakoras). We all enjoyed the meal a lot. When asked about the pakoras, they said our brother have made this.


Hala is also famous for its handicrafts. Aunt’s friend told us that they have their own business of Ajrak, Sussi and Khadi. She told s previously when there were not much development, women worked with their hands but nowadays technology advancement has made a difference. We all visited their industry. Where machines were making clothes of different designs. We returned back to their home after two hours.


Time was going like water. I enjoyed there a lot. People of Hala are very hardworking. Even men do house chorus and do not feel shame. Their language was same as ours but the life-style was different. They all were loving and sweet. Now I always say, let’s make a program and set out for Hala. I do not refuseto go on any picnic. I got an experience that travelling gives our conscience new routes. It adds knowledge and help us to discover the true meaning of life.

1 comment: